At AK Steel, great people, innovation, and a commitment to continuous improvement help drive our overall success. Our employees represent a diverse range of personal backgrounds and professional skill sets, which helps us consistently deliver world-class quality and service to our customers. As a leader in flat-rolled steel manufacturing, we employ men and women who are driven to succeed, passionate about their work, dedicated to being part of a team, results oriented and relentless in the pursuit of continuous improvement.
AK Steel is looking for a Shift Manager Shop Coordination at our Butler, PA operation. The Shift Manager Shop Coordination will be responsible for tracking the flow of heats through the Melt Shop and managing and providing work direction for our hourly union employees. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and thrive in a fast paced steelmaking environment. Our facility is located on 1,300 acres and is a leading producer of flat rolled electrical and stainless steels as well as a supplier of stainless semi-finished slabs.
- Supervise and provide work direction for hourly bargaining unit employees.
- Implement the safety program’s goals to ensure a safe work environment by conducting safety contacts, observations, meetings, and audits.
- Adhere to the quality policy to promote continuous improvement of our products, processes, and services.
- Maintain the flow of heats through the melt shop.
- Manage Ladle Metallurgy Furnace (LMF) process.
- Attain results through effective planning, organizing, controlling, and assignment of priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Broad knowledge of melting and casting steel or other metals
- Ability to coordinate and execute a multitude of projects with minimal supervision within the allotted time and budget
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Willingness and ability to work directly on the shop floor in a heavy manufacturing environment
- Willingness and ability to work rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays
- Previous supervisory and/or co-op experience in an industrial environment
- Bachelors degree in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or other engineering discipline
- Specific knowledge of stainless, electrical and/or carbon steels
- Supervisory experience in a union environment
- Challenging work
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities
- Bonus program
- Tuition reimbursement
AK Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, military or protected veteran status.
Click the following links to view information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and require all prospective employees to undergo a post-offer drug and alcohol screen before starting employment.