At AK Steel, great people, innovation, and a commitment to continuous improvement help drive our overall success. Our employees represent a diverse range of personal backgrounds and professional skill sets, which helps us consistently deliver world-class quality and service to our customers. As a leader in flat-rolled steel manufacturing, we employ men and women who are driven to succeed, passionate about their work, dedicated to being part of a team, results oriented and relentless in the pursuit of continuous improvement.
AK Steel has an immediate need for a Section Manager - Cast/Slab Shipping at our Butler, Pennsylvania facility. AK Steel is a leading producer of flat-rolled carbon, stainless and electrical steel products, for automotive, appliance, construction and manufacturing markets.
AK Steel maintains a relentless pursuit of excellence in safety, quality, and productivity. Butler's facility is located on 1,300 acres and is a leading producer of flat rolled electrical and stainless steels as well as a supplier of stainless semi-finished slabs.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Support the AK Steel Butler Works’ safety program and activities through safety contacts, observations, inspections, job safety and health analyses (JSHAs), housekeeping audits, elimination of safety hazards, and accident investigation.
- Provide technical advice, coaching, guidance, and mentoring to area Shift Managers on safety initiatives and safety procedures.
- Coordinate and manage product flow through the Steelmaking department with specific responsibility for two double-strand casters and slab reheat furnace.
- Implement and manage process control applications in the department.
- Take corrective action to minimize delays and optimize product flows.
- Manage the performance of salaried supervisors, engineers, and hourly bargaining unit employees through planning performance, coaching, counseling, and completing performance appraisals.
- Be responsible for all safety, environmental, quality, cost management, and budgeting activities for the department.
- Ensure a planned approach to continuous improvement by focusing on improving yields and eliminating retreats.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline is preferred but equivalent experience will be considered
- Ability to coordinate and execute a multitude of projects with minimal supervision within the allotted time and budget
- Excellent communication, organizational, analytical, problem-solving and time-management skills
- Significant managerial experience including safety, environmental, quality, cost management and budgeting
- Five + years of experience in heavy industrial environment
- Specific knowledge/experience in a steelmaking facility
- Experience in a union environment
Why Should You Apply?
- Challenging work
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities
- Bonus program
- Tuition reimbursement
AK Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, military or protected veteran status.
Click the following links to view information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and require all prospective employees to undergo a post-offer drug and alcohol screen before starting employment.