At AK Steel, great people, innovation, and a commitment to continuous improvement help drive our overall success. Our employees represent a diverse range of personal backgrounds and professional skill sets, which helps us consistently deliver world-class quality and service to our customers. As a leader in flat-rolled steel manufacturing, we employ men and women who are driven to succeed, passionate about their work, dedicated to being part of a team, results oriented and relentless in the pursuit of continuous improvement.
AK Steel’s Butler, PA operation has an immediate need for a hands-on and safety focused Shift Manager - Maintenance to join our team. The Shift Manager will be responsible for supervising and provide work direction to our hourly union employees in the Machine Shop. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and thrive in a fast paced work environment with complex operations. Our facility is located on 1,300 acres and is a leading producer of flat rolled electrical and stainless steels as well as a supplier of stainless semi-finished slabs.
- Supervise and provide work direction for hourly bargaining unit employees in the Machine Shop.
- Participate and implement the safety program’s goals to ensure a safe work environment by conducting safety contacts, observations, meetings and audits.
- Assign manpower and equipment as necessary to repair and upgrade mill equipment via department resources.
- Identify basic problem(s), gather the appropriate information, and analyze in an effective manner.
- Make decisions with a clear business focus on safety, quality, and productivity.
- Respond to off-hour and weekend shifts as needed to support plant outages and unplanned events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3+ years of experience of supervisory experience in a heavy manufacturing environment.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to trouble shoot and solve problems.
- Excellent verbal and written interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong mechanical aptitude with experience in maintenance and mobile equipment repair.
- Solid computer skills including Microsoft Office and basic computer applications.
- Journeyman card: Machinist, Pipe Fitter, or Welder preferred
- HVAC EPA Section 608 Certification preferred
- Experience working in union environment preferred.
Why Should You Apply?
- Challenging work
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities
- Bonus program
- Tuition reimbursement
AK Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, military or protected veteran status.
Click the following links to view information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and require all prospective employees to undergo a post-offer drug and alcohol screen before starting employment.