At AK Steel, great people, innovation, and a commitment to continuous improvement help drive our overall success. Our employees represent a diverse range of personal backgrounds and professional skill sets, which helps us consistently deliver world-class quality and service to our customers. As a leader in flat-rolled steel manufacturing, we employ men and women who are driven to succeed, passionate about their work, dedicated to being part of a team, results oriented and relentless in the pursuit of continuous improvement.
AK Steel has an immediate opportunity for a Transportation Sourcing Specialist at its Corporate Headquarters in West Chester, OH.
This position manages all aspects of Corporate Transportation sourcing/procurement projects, appraising and improving AK Steel’s sourcing activities by analyzing our corporate transportation spend, carrier partnerships and working with 3PL to develop new possibilities to improve performance and reduce cost.
- Works with Manager and 3PL to develop sourcing/procurement strategies, reviewing market analytics and regional/lane to identify opportunities for continuous move and better optimization.
- Heavily involved with 3PL in request for proposal (RFP) development and execution, evaluate multiple award scenarios, and identify which lanes and carriers represent the greatest opportunity for improvement.
- Develop strong routing guides by lane/region to ensure capacity commitments and capability for fluctuating volumes.
- Work with Carrier Management Specialist to determine root cause of carrier performance issues and develop action items to manage, improve performance, or find new capacity
- Work closely with Ryder Procurement, AK Carrier Management as well as Ryder Engineering ensuring capacity, service, and cost objectives by lane are exceeded.
- Drive 3PL to achieve goals related to cost and performance.
- Provide timely updates to manager on daily basis and communicate progress on department activities.
- Maintain productive working relationships with Customer Service, Planning, Mill Operations and Outside Processing to identify areas of improvement, developing, implementing and executing the right solution.
- Maintain a safe work environment for transportation department and 3PL.
- Assist with budget preparation.
- Other duties as required by business needs or as assigned.
Job Knowledge and Experience:
- Four year bachelor degree in supply chain management, logistics or business management preferred or equivalent transportation and/or logistics experience.
- Proven work experience in transportation sourcing/procurement
- Ability to negotiate and sustain networking relationships.
- Comfortable with figures and in collecting, analyzing and interpreting data.
- Experience with Flatbed transportation operations including DOT and safety regulations
- Solid judgment with ability to make good decisions.
- Ability to identify opportunities, improve processes, drive execution and manage change.
- Ability to multi-task and understand how to prioritize workload in order of importance.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills and builds relationships within both internal and external customers.
- PC proficient (Microsoft Office preferred); Understanding of TMS (Transportation Management System) experience a plus.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
Why Should You Apply?
- Challenging work
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities
- Bonus program
- Tuition reimbursement
AK Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, military or protected veteran status.
Click the following links to view information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and require all prospective employees to undergo a post-offer drug and alcohol screen before starting employment.