At AK Steel, great people, innovation, and a commitment to continuous improvement help drive our overall success. Our employees represent a diverse range of personal backgrounds and professional skill sets, which helps us consistently deliver world-class quality and service to our customers. As a leader in flat-rolled steel manufacturing, we employ men and women who are driven to succeed, passionate about their work, dedicated to being part of a team, results oriented and relentless in the pursuit of continuous improvement.
AK Steel has an immediate opportunity for a Transportation Rate Analyst at its Corporate Headquarters in West Chester, OH.
This position manages all aspects of Corporate Transportation sourcing/procurement projects, appraising and improving AK Steel’s sourcing activities by analyzing our corporate transportation spend, carrier partnerships and working with 3PL to develop new possibilities to improve performance and reduce cost.
- Continuous evaluation of AK Corporate transportation rates to determine best mode as it relates to cost and service. Adjust preferred modes, transit days, and other details within AK Steel systems.
- Evaluate and analyze modal conversion opportunities, trends by lanes, determining root cause and working with appropriate personnel to correct, maintain, and leverage modes for best cost and service.
- Work closely with Transportation Continuous Improvement Analyst to review and report on lane, volume, and mode changes to minimize impact to cost and service.
- Solicit freight rates from rail, truck, 3PL, and barge carriers, comparing to market/geographic trends. Validate rates and provide information to procurement team for negotiations.
- Manage all AK rate quotes working with 3PL and internal Rail/Barge Team to provide competitive rates inclusive of volume, frequency, and unit weight; ensure all rates cover AK Steel transportation cost providing accurate freight accrual.
- Enter and maintain rail, truck, and vessel rates including fuel surcharges into the AK Steel rate tables.
- Daily maintenance of rate suspense file, ensuring rates are updated and billed timely.
- Determine best market indices that AK Steel should utilize for trend analysis
- Work with management and AK IT to determine means for pro-actively addressing new lane rates and capacity in advance of load builds.
- Work closely with 3PL and AK Procurement team on Request for Proposal (RFP) development and execution, evaluate rates and award scenarios, identifying which lanes and carriers represent the greatest opportunity for improvement.
- Provide timely updates to manager on daily basis and communicate progress on department activities.
- Maintain productive working relationships with internal customers.
- Maintain a safe work environment for transportation department.
- Assist with annual budget preparation in addition to monthly budget review.
- Other duties as required by business needs or as assigned.
Job Knowledge and Experience:
- Four year bachelor degree in supply chain management, logistics or business management preferred or equivalent transportation and/or logistics experience.
- Strong quantifiable/proven rate analytical experience in truck; rail/maritime desired.
- Solid experience with figures, collecting, analyzing and interpreting data.
- Experience with Flatbed transportation operations a plus
- Solid judgment with ability to make good decisions.
- Ability to identify opportunities, improve processes, drive execution and manage change.
- Ability to multi-task and understand how to prioritize workload in order of importance.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills and builds relationships within internal customers.
- PC proficient (Microsoft Office preferred) with advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
Why Should You Apply?
- Challenging work
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities
- Bonus program
- Tuition reimbursement
AK Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, military or protected veteran status.
Click the following links to view information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and require all prospective employees to undergo a post-offer drug and alcohol screen before starting employment.