At AK Steel, great people, innovation, and a commitment to continuous improvement help drive our overall success. Our employees represent a diverse range of personal backgrounds and professional skill sets, which helps us consistently deliver world-class quality and service to our customers. As a leader in flat-rolled steel manufacturing, we employ men and women who are driven to succeed, passionate about their work, dedicated to being part of a team, results oriented and relentless in the pursuit of continuous improvement.
AK Steel has an immediate opportunity for a Carrier Management Specialist at its Corporate Headquarters in West Chester, OH.
This position manages all aspects of Corporate Transportation service performance, appraising, and improving AK Steel’s carrier performance as it relates to our corporate transportation spend, service, claims, and IATF 16949. Establish strong carrier partnerships and working with 3PL to develop new possibilities to improve performance and reduce cost.
- Work with 3PL to determine performance metrics by carrier, lane and customer to ensure on-time pick-up and delivery. Determine root cause of performance issues and develop action items to manage and improve performance.
- Drive 3PL to achieve goals related to cost and performance.
- Provide timely updates to manager on daily basis and communicate progress on department activities.
- Work with 3PL on daily shipping plans, monitoring aged loads ensuring timely pick-up and deliveries. Ensures Days-to-Ship goal is exceeded to meet customer expectations and improve working capital.
- Maintain productive working relationships with Customer Service, Planning, Mill Operations and Outside Processing to identify areas of improvement, developing, implementing and executing the right solution.
- Monitor critical shipments, ensuring timely p/u and delivery.
- Monitors mill truck loading turn times and consignee/OP unloading times, providing recommendations and execution for improvement.
- Work closely with 3PL and AK Legal to ensure updated COI (Certificate of Insurability) and tender removals for those not in compliance.
- Oversee claims process managed by 3PL.
- Represents and maintains IATF Quality System for corporate transportation, ensuring transportation is in full compliance.
- Work closely with Ryder and AK Procurement teams as well as Ryder Engineering ensuring capacity, service, and cost objectives by lane are exceeded.
- Maintain a safe work environment for transportation department and 3PL.
- Assist with budget preparation.
- Other duties as required by business needs or as assigned
Job Knowledge and Experience:
- Four year bachelor degree in supply chain management, logistics or business management preferred or equivalent transportation and/or logistics experience.
- Proven work experience in carrier management
- Ability to negotiate and sustain networking relationships.
- Comfortable with figures and in collecting, analyzing and interpreting data.
- Experience with Flatbed transportation operations including DOT and safety regulations
- Solid judgment with ability to make good decisions.
- Ability to identify opportunities, improve processes, drive execution and manage change.
- Ability to multi-task and understand how to prioritize workload in order of importance.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills and builds relationships within both internal and external customers.
- PC proficient (Microsoft Office preferred); Understanding of TMS (Transportation Management System) experience a plus.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
Why Should You Apply?
- Challenging work
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities
- Bonus program
- Tuition reimbursement
AK Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, military or protected veteran status.
Click the following links to view information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and require all prospective employees to undergo a post-offer drug and alcohol screen before starting employment.