At AK Steel, great people, innovation, and a commitment to continuous improvement help drive our overall success. Our employees represent a diverse range of personal backgrounds and professional skill sets, which helps us consistently deliver world-class quality and service to our customers. As a leader in flat-rolled steel manufacturing, we employ men and women who are driven to succeed, passionate about their work, dedicated to being part of a team, results oriented and relentless in the pursuit of continuous improvement.
This candidate will be responsible for developing, managing, pricing and the maintenance of supply contracts with our industrial gasses and water treatment services such as Acids, Fuels, Lubes, Caustic, Oils, Process Chemicals, and other commodity categories as assigned. This person will interface with Engineering, Plant Technicians and general maintenance personnel as well as their peers from the supply organizations.
The responsibilities will include:
- Provides the effective purchasing and delivery of all items within the commodities assigned, securing the best value in these items for the company. The following considerations are of primary importance:
- best value considering price and value-in-use,
- recommends and selects suppliers considering quality, delivery, and price,
- expedites and schedules materials necessary to meet plant operating requirements,
- recommends best ordering quantities to effect adequate supply and efficient purchasing considerations,
- lowest cost packaging and transportation of purchased goods,
- initiate new and make changes to existing blanket orders, and
- maintain Purchasing Department files as required
- Continuously strives to reduce total cost of procured goods and services. Negotiates favorable pricing, terms, FOB location, warranty limits, and price protection in order to obtain best value for AK.
- Recommends adequate and satisfactory sources of supply and evaluates supplier performance. Instructs suppliers through purchase orders, verbal communications or correspondence regarding plant requirements and deliveries of assigned commodities.
- Gathers, analyzes, and tracks data on supplier performance, pricing, quality, and other areas as needed.
- Actively seeks and helps develop (if necessary) diversity suppliers. Demonstrates that diversity suppliers are given a fair opportunity to quote whenever capable. Reports supplier diversity to Supplier Diversity program coordinator as required.
- Collaborates with responsible Engineering, Maintenance and Operating supervision to secure best services, material substitution, and value in all purchases. Initiates action to resolve minor and major plant emergency purchases.
- Leads and organizes meetings with plants and suppliers to alleviate supply issues. Interviews supplier representatives and represents AK in supplier/vendor relationships. Arranges for discussions between vendors and engineering, operating or maintenance personnel as required or directed.
- Provides information to Purchasing Management and plant personnel as required to effectively purchase assigned commodities. Makes plant and vendor visitations as directed and required to maintain an effective liaison. Keeps abreast of market conditions as to availability, price, and quality of assigned commodities.
- Reviews assigned incoming requisitions and determines best buying methods. Initiates aggressive purchasing action required to secure assigned items and commodities. Maintains records, reports, and files for proper control of assigned purchasing activities. Consults with management on problems requiring major considerations.
- Updates blanket contracts to reflect current prices, terms, and conditions.
- Seeks input from management and Legal on contract requirements and purchasing issues in a timely fashion, and takes care to not commit the business without necessary approvals. Keeps management aware of small situations and proposed action plans before they become large issues.
- Completes weekly audits of vendor invoices and takes action to remedy any resulting issues.
The ideal candidate will have:
- This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Supply Chain Management ,or Chemical Engineering, or military equivalent
- Steel Mill, Foundry, Energy, Rolling, or Finishing Management experience is preferred
- Strong negotiation and analytical skills
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Intermediate, or above, Excel skills
- Demonstrated computer skills – Word and PowerPoint
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written
- High attention to detail
- High standard of Ethics
- Occasional travel is required
AK Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, military or protected veteran status.
Click the following links to view information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and require all prospective employees to undergo a post-offer drug and alcohol screen before starting employment.