AK Steel has an immediate opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer at our Research facility. The Mechanical Engineer will involve responsibility for operation and maintenance of several mechanical testing machines within Research. Emphasis is on physical material characterization of carbon and specialty steel products, specifically related to product development, customer and operations support. This will also involve development of new procedures and techniques for analysis involving tensile, fatigue, hardness, formability and thermo-mechanical simulations, as well as other material evaluation techniques.
· Focus will be placed on support to engineers within the Research organization, particularly with respect to product development for new and innovative products. It also requires an ability to support AK Steel Operations and Customers, as necessary. The position requires technical understanding of key laboratory equipment, and will involve conducting analyses using Research Laboratory facilities. The Engineer will have broad functionality and capability on key Research laboratory equipment and procedures. The position reports to the manager of Research Laboratories, at AK Steel’s Research and Innovation Center.
· Assist technicians in the lab with daily testing setups.
· Assure all equipment is calibrated and maintained to ensure quality results.
· Safely perform mechanical tests, as necessary.
· Support AK Steel’s commitment to safety and quality.
· Report weekly on lab activities and new testing.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required. Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering is preferred.
· The ability to work independently, as well as part of a team, to problem-solve complex material issues using multiple analytical tools and techniques.
· A thorough understanding of physical testing of steels is desirable.
· Knowledge or understanding of 3rd generation Advanced High Strength Steels is a plus.
· Fundamental computer skills such as Microsoft Office programs complimented by instrumentation software knowledge is required.
· Basic understanding of Quality systems, such as ISO 17025, is preferred.
· Effective written and oral communication skills
· Excellent compensation and benefits.
· Challenging work.
· Advancement opportunities.AK Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, military or protected veteran status.
Click the following links to view information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and require all prospective employees to undergo a post-offer drug and alcohol screen before starting employment.