Department Manager Steelmaking
Job ID: R00990
Job Title: Department Manager Steelmaking
Location: Butler, PA US
Posted On: 2/27/2018 12:59:09 PM
Job Type: Full time
AK Steel is looking for a Department Manager - Steelmaking at our Butler, PA operation. The Department Manager will be responsible for directing and managing the operations and resources of the Steelmaking department to safely and effectively produce and deliver quality products to our customers in a timely fashion. Our facility is located on 1,300 acres and is a leading producer of flat-rolled electrical and stainless steels.
- Direct and oversee all operations and maintenance in a Melt Shop which includes a 175-ton EAF and AOD, LMF, and two double-strand continuous casters.
- Manage a shop of 300+ hourly union and approximately 50 salaried exempt employees in a 24/7 shift operation.
- Responsible and accountable for all department results with respect to safety, environmental, quality, productivity, and cost.
- Create long-term planning in Steelmaking to accommodate business conditions, capital projects, etc.
- Evaluate processes for continuous improvement in process consistency, quality, and product integrity.
- Responsible for keeping all parties, both internal and external to the department, informed on changing conditions in the Steelmaking Department.
- Make decisions to minimize interruptions to production including approval of appropriate actions, requesting assistance, and providing a hands-on approach to any given situation.
- Be able to provide assistance and direction under upset conditions to provide the departments with appropriate direction; to either continue or stop production as soon as possible to best protect the overall quality of the final product.
- Be aware of the latest technology that may be applicable to our operation.
- Maintain and improve employees’ performance through effective motivation, training, auditing, rewarding and personal accountability of work procedures and results.
- Identify training needs of the operation to maintain a competent and motivated workforce.
- Foster a culture of trust, teamwork, responsibility, high expectations, and open communication.
AK Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, military or protected veteran status.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Materials Science, Metallurgical Engineering, or Chemical Engineering
- 10+ years supervisory experience in steelmaking and/or casting with proven leadership abilities
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of the steelmaking process
- Expertise in plant operations, general maintenance, procedures, OSHA regulations, environmental regulations
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel
Click the following links to view information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and require all prospective employees to undergo a post-offer drug and alcohol screen before starting employment.