Job ID: R00741
Job Title: Project Engineer
Location: Dearborn, MI US
Posted On: 1/2/2018 5:14:02 PM
Job Type: Full time
Our Dearborn Works facility is seeking a Project Engineer. The Dearborn Works is located on a more than 350-acre site in southeast Michigan. Its carbon steel melting, casting, hot and cold rolling, and finishing operations are capable of producing 3.6 million net tons of hot rolled, 2.1 million net tons of cold rolled, 1.1 million net tons of galvanized and galvannealed sheet each year.
- Identifies process improvements and/or critical equipment/facility replacements as may be necessary for the facilities/processes to produce a quality and competitive commercial product.
- Manages projects and/or provides direct technical support of the assigned equipment and facilities when the plant’s technical support resources require assistance.
- Assures that on-site work by the selected contractor(s) meets or exceeds AK Steel’s requirements for workmanship and safety, that the work will meet or exceed AK Steel’s technical requirements, that the work shall be performed in such a manner as to cause no unplanned interruptions to AK Steel’s operations, and that contractor properly documents its work and provides for a well-trained work force.
- Applies standard engineering and drafting techniques to a variety of operating and maintenance problems and in the development of a scope of work, budget estimation, providing direction to outside engineering firms in furnishing associated detailed design information for a successful installation and commissioning.
- Selects electrical apparatus and related equipment, designs circuits, writes specifications, prepares estimates, initiates contracts with electrical equipment suppliers and contractors and works with field supervision during installation and start-up. Interacts with Information and Automation engineers, as required, to ensure control interfaces to computers.
- Maintains corporate safety compliance with associated designs, furnished equipment, contractor installation techniques and field installation activities.
- Participates in technical investigations, studies, problem review, new and proposed equipment, materials, processes and facilities and provide sound engineering evaluations and recommendations for proposed actions.
- Collaborates with operating department management in prioritizing engineering services relative to department needs and objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
AK Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, military or protected veteran status.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering required
- Minimum of 3 years of project management and engineering experience within the steel industry required
- Continuous improvement, problem solving and strong communication skill set required
- Must be able to manage several projects at a time
- Strong communication skills including verbal, written, and presentations
- Strong communication skills including verbal and written as well as presentation skills required